Speaking on Twitter, the director of the University Hospital Rafik Hariri, Firas Abiad, said that Lebanon does not have the medical capacity to cope with a massive epidemic of people infected with the coronavirus COVID-19.
He said that the current authorities are still trying to contain the epidemic and that in the event of an unchecked extension, no medical capacity will be sufficient. He also indicated that only a containment period could prove to be the current option in order to regain control of the situation.
As a reminder, Lebanon saw a dramatic increase yesterday in the number of cases of people infected with coronavirus in 24 hours, with 334 cases including 324 domestic contaminations. Two new deaths have also been announced in the last 24 hours. The total number of people who have died has been 94 since the onset of the disease in Lebanon on 21 February 2020. A total of 8045 people have been infected since then. Only 2,551 people are believed to be cured and there are still 5,400 people affected by the virus, or 67% of cases. This ratio shows a worrying acceleration of the disease in Lebanon.
With regard to the capacity of Rafic Hariri University Hospital, the department dedicated to COVID-19 will be expanded, nurses trained and the intensive care unit will have five additional beds. He also noted that of the 41 patients currently in critical condition, 24 are hospitalized at the facility.
3.4 Two weeks ago, RHUH started an initiative to expand the #Covid19 service. Nurses were trained. The ICU will be expanded by five more beds (out of 41 critical patients in 🇱🇧, 24 are at RHUH). We are also increasing testing capacity and speeding the reporting of the results.— Firass Abiad (@firassabiad) August 15, 2020
It will also address some questions concerning, in particular, the appropriateness of opening schools and universities in the near future.
In the middle of August alone, the number of infections would already exceed the number of cases diagnosed in July, i.e. 3490 people infected with COVID-19.